[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] [Esug-list] [Pharo-dev] [gsoc-mentors] The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude

Andres Valloud avalloud at smalltalk.comcastbiz.net
Mon Feb 10 09:53:02 UTC 2014

1.  Having this discussion *now* is just hugely counterproductive.  This
conversation should have been had, preferably in person and with
abundant social lubricants, last year after the end of the previous
GSoC.  In that way, we wouldn't have all this drama on top of the stress
of doing a GSoC and meeting its deadlines etc.

2.  Could you please focus on the problem, and not on people?  Nothing
good will come out of personal judgments, insults, disrespect, etc.  It
doesn't even matter if whoever is saying those things is "right".
Abusing other people helps promote even more community division by
presenting a choice of *who* (instead of *what*) is right.

3.  Could the interested parties set up an N-way conference call or some
such, and reach a conclusion in a reasonable manner?  Email is horrible
for these kinds of discussions, it's extremely easy to end up with
exaggerated interpretations of what is said and then we all get to see
flame wars that end nowhere --- like the flame wars on the same subject
***last year***.  Write minutes, report the progress in a neutral manner
on the ESUG mailing list, whatever you choose --- just be sensible and
professional.

If you recall, we have seen an extremely good example of how to deal
with uncomfortable situations in the ESUG mailing list not long ago.  It
can be done.

4.  4000 EUR is not peanuts, I agree.  I will also point out that 4000
EUR doesn't pay for a lot of our time when we measure it by the
measuring stick of consulting hours.  I strongly suspect we are wasting
a lot more money than 4000 EUR with this endless controversy.  The
current process for dealing with this issue will, at best, result in a
Pyrrhic victory.  Think about it, even on the "cheap side" of 1 EUR /
minute, don't you think we have collectively spent far more than 67
hours on this stuff without even getting close to a resolution?  Think
about it: 67 hours is less than 2 weeks.  I don't think we can afford
that kind of "success".