[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Unethical behaviour on GSoC 2010 (was The truth on GSOC, ESUG and bad attitude)

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Mon Feb 10 17:59:46 UTC 2014

Hi Janko,

So you overrode Stef’s decision, left the project in, and what happened.  Did we get a Newspeak / Smalltalk translator?

I’m not sure I agree with Igor here.  If someone wanted to do a translator to some other language, that might be cool.  Having more ways to integrate with other languages may not be a bad idea.  I don’t think it would be a project for a student or something that could be properly accomplished during a summer.  But I guess that doesn’t matter, a summer could get you 80% of the way there.

This seems to me to be a difference of opinion and not an ethical lapse or an abuse of power.  Stef was right in asking for the suggestion to be removed.  You were right to disagree.  In both cases it was a judgment call.  It seems to me that since the project stayed on the site, that Stef was also quite reasonable.  He listened to your objection, he heard your opinion, (he probably disagreed with you), and he let the idea stay on the site.  The only thing that may have made this better would have been Stef requesting the removal publically.  This transparency would have come at the risk of alienating the Newspeak community which in my mind is still part of the Smalltalk community, and one of the better contributors of code for all of us (considering their current work on Cog and Spur).  In that light, I understand the desire to do it privately.

In this case, in my opinion, everyone acted ethically.  There is no blame to be found.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Head Of Engineering

3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting