[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk dialects and GSoC

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Tue Feb 11 17:08:50 UTC 2014

Il 11/02/2014 17:53, Bert Freudenberg ha scritto:
>> I think a Newspeak<->Smalltalk translator, written in Smalltalk, would be eligible for GSoC under the ESUG organization.
>>
>> If it were to be written in Newspeak, I would still want to have it
>> in the ideas list. Perhaps the student itself could propose to use
>> Smalltalk instead, or it could be a backup in case we lose a student due
>> to conflicts with other organizations. However, the chances for it to
>> get into the program would be slimmer.
>
> How about a project for a new or extended Smalltalk VM? Written in
> non-Smalltalk, but running a Smalltalk, e.g. Squeak?

Of course, everything must be considered on a case-by-case basis.  There
is no hard and fast rule.

With my GNU Smalltalk hat on, I would redirect VM ideas to the GNU
organization, and only use ESUG slots for projects that have more
porting potential.  But I understand that not all dialects have the same
opportunity.

Paolo