[squeak-dev] Build server error

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 17:14:43 UTC 2014

Sorry this isn't on the box-admins list. I'm not currently on that list and this seems pressing.

Perhaps anybody using build.squeak.org could download The Definitive Guide as a reference. That's pretty much where this all started. It's free.

http://www.wakaleo.com/books/jenkins-the-definitive-guide

I tried restarting Jenkins with

/usr/init.d/jenkins  [stop|restart|start}

and

/usr/sbin/service jenkins [stop|restart|start}

It complains that there is already a service on port 8080. So I went in with

ps aux | grep jenkins

to manually kill the last processes. They won't die. There are two.

I had a thought this was because Apache was running and looked like port 8080 to Jenkins. I stopped it. Tried again and that had no effect. I restarted it.

I have some notions that what Jenkins wants is to be restarted with something Java-esque like:

java -jar jenkins.war --httpPort=8081 --ajp13Port=8010 --prefix=jenkins

Though I'm not sure that makes any difference. (Note the "ajp" reference above and mentioned on page p.54 of Jenkins: The Definitive Guide, section 3.9. We're running Jenkins with mod_proxy_ajp or something like that. )

I Googled the problem with the error message:

"Restarting Jenkins Continuous Integration Server: jenkinsThe selected http port (8080) seems to be in use by another program Please select another port to use for jenkins failed!"

As far as I can tell that is saying Jenkins sees an existing process on port 8080 and will not start, to wit, it is seeing itself and will not start a process of itself. How can these processes be so resilient?

It may be possible that our version of Jenkins needs to be updated and the problem will go away. It may be that some squeak images need to be killed before the final Jenkins process will die or allow itself to be reloaded or something.

I'm out of ideas, but if somebody reads this over, perhaps they can see something useful to do here.

Chris