[squeak-dev] Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk dialects and GSoC

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:29:21 UTC 2014

On 11 February 2014 18:08, Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu.org> wrote:

> Il 11/02/2014 17:53, Bert Freudenberg ha scritto:
>
>> I think a Newspeak<->Smalltalk translator, written in Smalltalk, would be
>>> eligible for GSoC under the ESUG organization.
>>>
>>> If it were to be written in Newspeak, I would still want to have it
>>> in the ideas list. Perhaps the student itself could propose to use
>>> Smalltalk instead, or it could be a backup in case we lose a student due
>>> to conflicts with other organizations. However, the chances for it to
>>> get into the program would be slimmer.
>>>

>> How about a project for a new or extended Smalltalk VM? Written in
>> non-Smalltalk, but running a Smalltalk, e.g. Squeak?
>>

> Of course, everything must be considered on a case-by-case basis.  There
> is no hard and fast rule.

Right. I didn't said it's easy to correctly/perfectly draw a line. But you
have to draw it.. and once you did, you will always have chances to find
someone left aboard and screaming about bias and blatantly unethical
behavior, instead of peacefully discussing and providing arguments.

> With my GNU Smalltalk hat on, I would redirect VM ideas to the GNU
> organization, and only use ESUG slots for projects that have more porting
> potential.  But I understand that not all dialects have the same
> opportunity.
>
> No, i think any Smalltalk VM is clearly a good topic to run under ESUG
umbrella.

> Paolo

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.