[squeak-dev] what is smalltalk? (was: Smalltalk dialects and GSoC)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Feb 12 17:38:13 UTC 2014

On 12-02-2014, at 1:35 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>  [snip]
> Of course, this makes Common Lisp a Smalltalk :) (They certainly have
> a whole bunch of characteristics in common, which given Smalltalk's
> influences should not be a surprise.) (And no, I don't seriously
> consider Common Lisp a Smalltalk, just in case anyone thinks that I
> do.)

I don’t know enough about Lisp to really comment. My impression is that it has message sending as an add-on and not the entire point. It’s something I might be wrong about. (Treasure that thought.)

>> Oh and course the big one - do I like it?
>
> Why, yes I do! (To both!)

No, no, no. ‘do I like it?’ refers to *me*, not the generic first person. ;-)

tim
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.