[squeak-dev] Squeaksource.com

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Feb 14 11:51:10 UTC 2014

Hey Bert!

Congratulations btw :)

On 02/14/2014 11:46 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> Moving squeaksource.com to its new home took a good deal of time
>>> and effort from me and a number of other folks (including Chris)
>>> who pitched in to help. It was more work than I had anticipated
>>> but I think we can all be pleased with the outcome.
>>
>> I am super happy you did it.
>
> Me too.
>
> Squeaksource.com is a service for providing personal (or shared)
> repositories. If the owner decides to remove it, it should be her
> choice alone. Taking over the server does not change that. This is
> unlike source.squeak.org which is for "official" projects, where we
> can dictate the rules (and one of them is never to delete old
> versions).

Good.

> I seem to hear that people event want to create new projects there.
> With its new home, that is an option we did not have a year ago. I'm
> not sure yet whether this is a good idea or not: Let's discuss.

Just a few random thoughts around that:

I am not sure why SS (or StHub for that matter) serves out the actual
file repos. A very simple tweak for availability would be to just add
Nginx (or whatever) to the mix for the actual serving of mczs. Further,
a very easy way of setting up writeable repos on Linux is to use an Ftpd
server, no need to mess with HTTP writes which can be a bit of a pain to
set up.

Comparing SS with StHub I think both have features the other one lacks.
So at this moment they both have plus/minus. BUT... StHub has a much
more modern and scalable architecture, and I also think it has more
development momentum behind it.

Of course, StHub runs in Pharo. So hacking on it might not be of
interest to many Squeakers. I think that would be a mistake though:

StHub is for *Smalltalk*. It would be really great if Squeak/Pharo and
GemStone folks and anyone that can handle MCs could cooperate around
StHub and improve it to fully replace SS and become a fully shared place
for us all.

But I guess balkanization will win yet again.

regards, Göran