SpaceTally>>spaceForInstancesOf: crashes the VM (was: [squeak-dev] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 4 (13675))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Feb 16 03:04:05 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 06:52:18PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Just as a check point, no problem on a #13297 image on a Cog 2776 VM.

I ran the space tally on Cog and did not get a crash. But then I tried
CompiledMethod basicNew on Cog, and hung the image. I did not look into
the details beyond that. I'm assuming at this point that CompiledMethod
class>>basicNew is a Bad Thing.

Obviously the VM should not crash, but given that it may do so, I patched
spaceForInstancesOf: to call #new in the case of CompiledMethod.

Dave