Let's consider changing how we track issues (was Re: [squeak-dev] Mantis usage rules du jour)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Feb 19 21:43:46 UTC 2014

Hey guys!

On 02/23/2013 11:52 PM, Ken Causey wrote:
> Frankly I think this is a very good time, certainly as good as any, to
> reconsider how we track issues.  It's all going to have to be setup
> again from scratch soon anyway.
>
> I've personally always felt that that something integrated into Squeak
> itself (well, an installable package anyway) is the way for us to go,
> something customized to how we are accustomed to working and probably
> hooking into Monticello.  But making any such thing will be a lot of
> work and someone has to step up to do it and take the risk that the
> community will not find the result actually usable/acceptable.

Just as a ... well, "data point":

At 3DICC we fairly recently took charge of this and I scanned the market
a bit looking at Trac and a few others, even tried installing Trac
(liked their idea of marrying a wiki with issue tracker) but that was a
PITA.

Then I tried Redmine - which basically is a reimplementation of similar
ideas but in Rails, and wow, that was very simple to get set up and it
does AFAICT everything you want and is quite easy to customize - just by
clicking around in the admin UIs.

It has integrated wiki blabla, and also support for SVN/git etc, and I
wouldn't be surprised if you fairly easily could do a commit hook at
least for MC. Granted the first time I saw their website I didn't think
it looked that nice, kinda boring - but if you start clicking around you
quickly realize it is neat! Also very "REST"-ful, you know with nice
URLs pointing to issues, the form for creating new issues blabla...

We are really satisfied at least. :)

regards, Göran