[squeak-dev] [ANN] The Path Tools Framework

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 21:53:53 UTC 2014

On 22 February 2014 17:19, Michael Perscheid
<michaelperscheid at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m pleased to announce the release of our Path Tools Framework that has been developed
> during the last five years as part of my dissertation.
>
> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/pathToolsFramework
>
> The Path Tools Framework comprises several development tools for supporting typical software
> maintenance tasks such as debugging, testing, and program comprehension. It realizes among
> others our test-driven fault navigation (a systematic debugging approach that leads developers
> from the observable failure back to root causes), test quality feedback (improve software quality
> by analyzing test cases), and model-based source code editing (single source development
> method that joins model-driven development and standard source code editing).
>
> As there are several tools and use cases, we will provide more detailed information in following
> announcements. Nevertheless, all tools are already available and can be tested. Furthermore,
> there is also a bunch of documentation, screencasts, and published papers.
>
> http://www.michaelperscheid.de/projects/index.html
>
> Have fun :-)

:) One of those tools is in the section "Type Harvesting". Watch the
video: a custom test runner runs your unit tests, and collects type
information. Another custom browser shows the collected type info as a
tooltip/hover thing when you hover over a variable, instance variable,
selector (showing the method's return type) and so on. Very nice!

frank