[squeak-dev] The Inbox: CommandLine-fbs.3.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 15:04:46 UTC 2014

On 1 January 2014 07:22, Colin Putney <colin at wiresong.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Right, I just prefer that "script" to be a method in ReleaseBuilder so
>> it is visible, trunk-maintained and scrutinized and recorded for
>> posterity in our MC repositories.
>

> OK, let's make that into a more concrete proposal. Rather than have
> Smalltalk code being written with a text editor and versioned with Git, we
> could have that code be written with the Squeak IDE and versioned with
> Monticello. These CI packages would stored in a repository on
> source.squeak.org, but NOT the trunk repository, and would not be part of
> the trunk image. They'd be responsible for generating script files that
> could be passed to the image on the command line for execution. (Rather like
> VMMaker, in effect.)

The Smalltalk part of the CI stuff is tiny. It's the HudsonReportTool
or whatever it's called, and two tiny scripts, update-base-image.st
and release.st. Release.st boils down, now, to "ReleaseBuilder
prepareNewBuild" wrapped in ToolSet setting boilerplate. It needs to
be outside the image because _something_ needs to get the ball rolling
from outside the image.

The bulk of the CI scripts, if you look, consists of small load
scripts for Smalltalk packages (OSProcess, Xtreams, FileSystem, ...),
scripts to invoke tests on same, and then Ruby to wire everything
together.

> Frank, I think that might actually make your life easier, without burdening
> the trunk image or release artifacts with scaffolding. It's also orthogonal
> to your proposal for activating CommandLineToolSet with some sort of
> parameter from the command line. (If we could accomplish that without
> breaking the has-a-Display-but-draws-it-to-the-network-instead-of-a-window
> deployment mode, that would be great!)

Yep. It is more complicated than I'd hoped, though. We need to add a
new flag to the VM/scripts that run the VM, or something. -headless
needs to stay untouched by this new thing.

frank