[squeak-dev] Preferences ignoreStyleIfOnlyBold

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:18:29 UTC 2014

>> OK, so that's you & I in agreement. I think Colin's happy for it to
>> go. Any ol' timers out there with warnings of doom, before I rip this
>> out?
>
> Just FYI: this makes it impossible to use/port CodeTalk[1] in/to
> Squeak 4.5.
> And I actually used it once or twice, not that this would be important :)

Oh, that does matter.  Tobias, I think you're saying CodeTalk wants to
store Text into the .changes and possibly MC because that's where it
stores its code annotations.  Is that right?  But they don't actually
need that preference too do they?

We should account for Robert Hirschfelds group which has put out some
great tools and projects.  CodeTalk wants to continue to push
Smalltalk ahead of the rest of the world still stuck in plain-text.

So, based on this, I think we should not change policy w.r.t. storing
Text vs. Strings.  Text has #asString, so it doesn't seem there should
be any extra complexity to deal with the outside world; probably less
than trying to rip out something that's integrated and works.