[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel.dve-fbs.831.mcz

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 13:38:12 UTC 2014

On 6 January 2014 13:30,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> A new version of Kernel was added to project The Inbox:
> http://source.squeak.org/inbox/Kernel.dve-fbs.831.mcz

> Name: Kernel.dve-fbs.831
> Author: fbs
> Time: 6 January 2014, 1:30:13.195 pm
> UUID: b4878bfa-b720-b94c-9166-091e0d074a89
> Ancestors: Kernel-fbs.829
>
> If a subclass contains an inst var named 'foo' and you try add a same-named inst var to a superclass, you get a very unhelpful error message. This attempts to tell you which inst vars conflict (in case there are several), and in which subclass the inst vars already exist.
>
> (It doesn't handle all cases: if you have 'foo' in SubclassA and 'bar' in SubclassB, your error message will complain about only the first conflict.)
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-fbs.829 ===============

* A branch because there's already a Kernel-fbs.830 in Inbox, and I
don't want to muck around with version numbers
* This is just a hack to address a problem I found: it needs proper
tests, and it needs proper review, hence it being in the Inbox.

At some later point, it'd be really nice to be able to catch a
DuplicateVariableError and be able, within the debugger, to perform a
Pull Up Instvar refactoring (*). As a long term project, I'd like to
blur more and more the distinction between Debugger and Browser, in
the sense of the latter being a means of editing code.

frank

(*) Yes, this means I'd like us to pick up the Refactoring Browser
code again, in a later-than-4.5 Squeak.