[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-cmm.830.mcz

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Jan 8 17:49:40 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nevertheless, I factored the individual remove as
> #primRemoveFromSystem:, just for you.  :)  So if some external caller
> wants to use that they can (although doing it seems it leaves the
> system in a bad state, maybe there's some use case I'm missing).

All this environments and shrinking work I've been doing lately has made me
aware of just how complicated and delicate class removal really is. I've
been thinking we should do some work on simplifying it in 4.6.

It may be that this *should* be the default behaviour, but I'm with Tobias,
we shouldn't change it lightly. If you want to release 4.5 soon, I don't
think there's enough time to test a change this fundamental.

Also, a nit: since it's not really a primitive, #primRemoveFromSystem:
should be called #basicRemoveFromSystem:

Colin