[squeak-dev] Preferences and Environments

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Thu Jan 9 16:38:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> My first thought is that it lets people using the wrong (*) token for
> assignment - $_ - to change Scanner's preference within their
> Environment, while the base/"top" Environment uses the correct token -
> :=. Ditto for things that require allowing $_ in selectors, like
> Xtreams.

Oooh. That's pretty sweet, alright.

However, the way things are currently implemented, it's tricky to actually
do that. We'd have to have another copy of Compiler and  Scanner loaded
into one environment, import it into the Xtreams environment and then
override #compilerClass to return the imported Compiler in all the classes
that get compiled there. Yuck.

Ugh. It looks like Pragma preferences and Environments don't mix well.