[squeak-dev] Squeak on Raspberry pi

Douglas McPherson djm1329 at san.rr.com
Sun Jan 12 20:50:35 UTC 2014

I am also interested in FFI for the Pi. Specifically I'm interested in using the Pi's I2C capability. I noticed that my raspbian distro has so.SqueakFFIPrims installed along with other plugins in /usr/lib/squeak/4.10.2-2793. Does this imply that the necessary support is in place?

Note though I loaded Squeak4.4-12327 onto the Pi and installed FFI, but none of the FFI tests pass. The failures are "Unable to find function address" Errors.  "Smalltalk current listLoadedModules" lists SqueakFFIPrims as a loaded external plugin after attempting to run the tests. I can't tell if there is missing functionality in the FFI support or if I got things misconfigured somehow.

The Scratch/python interaction is quite slick. I tried it out and got Scratch to turn some LEDs on and off. In the spirit of PhysicalEtoys, but for Scratch on the Pi, there's also similar Scratch to python connections used here: http://www.pridopia.co.uk/rs-pi-set-scratch.html.  In addition to GPIO examples, they also have I2C and SPI examples. As Tim says, it would be good to have a more direct interface.

Doug