[squeak-dev] Loading Packages Using Monticello Browser? OSProcess

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Jan 13 02:21:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 08:42:45PM -0500, JohnReed Maffeo wrote:
> In Squeak 4.4-12327, I have a Monticello Browser window open from which I have opened
> as Repositiory: http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess window.
> In the left hand panel there is a list of items in alpha order. I select OSProcess.
> In the right hand panel there is a list of items in name/number order.
> When I click on an item in the right hand panel, a message pops telling
> me the it has been loaded, but I don't see any OSProcess when I open a Browser
> and find class OSProcess.
> When I mouse over the Load button in the Repository: header the baloon says
> to load this version into the image. I click on the button and I get a
> message that it has been loaded.

Hi JohnReed,

If you used a Monticello Browser, then highlighted OSProcess, and then clicked
"Load" on the top entry on the right (currently OSProcess-dtl.89), then yes you
are done. You have loaded the complete OSProcess package.

There are some sub-packages listed on the left side, such as OSProcess-Base
and OSProcess-Unix and so forth. You can ignore these, because when you loaded
OSProcess you also will have loaded all of the sub-packages.

If you are comfortable using the SqueakMap package browser, you can also load
OSProcess that way. The "head" version from SqueakMap will load exactly the same
thing that you loaded from OSProcess-dtl.89.

So - yes you did the right thing, and yes you have loaded the complete OSProcess
package.

> Now when I open a SystemBrowser, I see all of the OSProcess-foo categories listed.
> Am I done? Or do I have do more? There is a ConfigurationOfOSProcess.

You can ignore the ConfigurationOfOSProcess section. This is required for
people who use Pharo images due to various incompatibilities, but that is not
an issue for any version of Squeak.

> I went through this once about three weeks ago and just clicked on everything,
> now I am having to rebuild an image because of a problem I am having trying
> to get osp := ExternalUnixOSProcess new command: cmdLine to work. And I managed to
> break ExternalUnixOSProcess when I tried to load CommandShell thinking that it
> might be helpful to my effort to figure out my problem.

> The string in cmdLine contains a string, which when printed out to Transcript
> and copied over to a terminal session outside Squeak works like a charm. Once I
> am sure that I have OSProcess loaded correctly, I will probably come back for
> some advice about how to effectively debug comand line problems.

Please do ask, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Dave