[squeak-dev] DisplayHostWindow questions

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jan 13 02:56:53 UTC 2014

OK, managed to download Squeak 4.4 and the first thing I noticed was the
comment about host windows.

So, I found the example DisplayHostWindow examplePaint and "did it."

Kool. Random color drawing in an external window. So.. the thought
processes went sorta like this...

Let's make a video. First, let's practice. Execute the example code.
Hmmm. Freezes out the rest of squeak. OK... Grab the example code. Paste
into a workspace. Tidy up references to PooledDictionary event
definitions. Execute. Um. Hm...

OK, let's try something simple:

Execute a really simple subset of the example code in a workspace...

win := DisplayHostWindow extent: 400 at 400 depth: 32.
     win offset: 50 at 50; open; windowTitle: 'Paint Test'

doit... Squeak still frozen.

OK...

myTest := [win := DisplayHostWindow extent: 400 at 400 depth: 32.
     win offset: 50 at 50; open; windowTitle: 'Paint Test'] fork

doIt...

Squeak still frozen.

and...

I'm stuck.  Is there any way to have an external window up and
manipulate it interactively while still having access to the Class
Browser, Workspace, etc?

This could be a very cool demo if I can get it working, but...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Lawson

--
Squeak from the very start (introduction to Squeak and Pharo Smalltalk for the (almost) complete and compleate beginner).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6601A198DF14788D&feature=view_all

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian Kernighan