[squeak-dev] Loading Packages Using Monticello Browser? OSProcess

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 00:30:02 UTC 2014

Hi John-Reed,

>> See the "package-definitions" category of Installer for all the
>> packages you can load this way.
>
> Based on the earlier threads, there are at least three ways to load packages from a variety of sources.
>
> Monticello Browser
> SqueakMap PackageBrowser
> Installer (From Workspace)
>
> Are there specific use cases for each of these options?

Yes.  SqueakMap is for installing working software configurations
where you just want to operate the software and not really work on it.
 SqueakMap packages know what version of Squeak they're supposed to
run on, avoiding bit-rot so that the software is preserved in at least
on old-versions of Squeak.

(Installer new merge: #packageName) should be used when you want the
_latest_ code of an app that requires multiple packages, possibly
because you want to work on it.  This is what I use exclusively for
development.

You can also install individual packages from the MC browser, but many
packages require other packages, so unless you know what you're doing
you might get Warning pop-ups about certain code not able to be loaded
due to non-existent pre-requisites.

> It appears that #Installer may be
> designed for programatic use where an additional set of known packages is desired on a repeatable basis.

Not just desired, required.

> Monticello and SqueakMap Browsers. I have not used the very much and have to look up the documentation
> when ever I want to do something with them. (I have only published on package on Squeak Source and
> it is no longer of much use because the technology it is based on is at end of life.)

It is still supported for existing projects.  New projects can open up
shop at SS3.

> SqueakMap seems to be end user focused with out of the box options.
> Monticello is version control.

Yes.