[squeak-dev] Smalltalk Impact

Sean DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Tue Jan 14 18:02:37 UTC 2014

Last week I attended an event at the The Metropolitan Museum of Art Media Lab. While networking, two educators told me that they use Scratch with their kids… not knowing I knew anything about it. They showed me some of their students' projects and were so proud and excited. They were also intrigued when I shared Scratch's lineage, connecting the dots back to the dynabook vision of computers as a metamedium to transform human thought. I talked about Smalltalk, and directed them to Phratch - and its ability to create tiles - as a bridge between tile-based and "full fledged" programming, for those students who yearn for more expressive power.

I thought you'd like to know that all of our work is rippling out in ways we can't imagine…

Cheers,
Sean