[squeak-dev] Timing out Trait tests

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 23:19:42 UTC 2014

2014/1/15 Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>

> On 14 January 2014 19:10, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Frank,
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:

> >> I'm relieved it's not just me, but sad that it's not just me
> >> experiencing this. So my understanding is that changes are stored by
> >> accessing SourceFiles at: 2. If you want a readonly copy of sources or
> >> changes, you use CurrentReadOnlySourceFiles at: 2. I suppose the first
> >> step is verifying that nothing referencing these _directly_ does
> >> things like closing files (I'd be tempted to look at CROSF first.)
> >

> > forgive me for not replying earlier but I needed help to track this down.
> > We suffered a very similar symptom a while ago at Cadence.  It turns out
> > that in our case the issue was the system running out of file handles
> > because it left lots of fils open.  The cause was with Monticello package
> > attaching a changeset in the hope that this is the same issue and that
> our
> > changeset can point you towards a fix.

Yeah, that's the problems that I most often encounter with changes files,
and for a long time:
 'no such file or directory' when opening the changes failed
I agree, most probably a simple problem of limited resources (like too many
readOnlyCopy files were opened, but not yet closed/reclaimed).
Eliot, isn't it your fault? The faster the VM, the sooner we hit the
resource limits

But I also managed to get a corrupt change log recently, could not trace
it...
I suspect that closing the original changes is a bit different than
starving of new readOnlyCopy, but who knows...