[squeak-dev] Re: Seaside on Squeak

Paul DeBruicker pdebruic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 00:32:56 UTC 2014

Chris Muller-3 wrote
>  I think people have given up because Seaside has not been
> reliably loadable on Squeak for a long time.  That's why I think it
> would be good for us as a community to depend on a Squeak-based
> web-site so we will keep it maintained like the trunk.

I thought that its been loadable if you use the canonical
ConfigurationOfSeaside3 (or ConfigurationOfSeaside30) that has been
maintained by the Seaside community.  Is that not the case?

Using the canonical ConfigurationOfSeaside3 from here:

MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main'
	user: ''
	password: ''

and running:

ConfigurationOfSeaside3 load.

works in the 4.4 All in one.

Chris Muller-3 wrote
> (Sigh)  So, in some respects it almost seems easier to just take
> charge of our own web-software destiny and fork our own Seaside, in
> our own repositories than to beg for cooperation from, ahem, other
> groups.

Just to be clear are you arguing that forking and maintaining a project,
documentation, finding users and devs plus developing and integrating
bugfixes, and creating improvements is easier or more desirable than fixing
a build script every now and again?

Chris Muller-3 wrote
> People want to build their OWN images from a base 4.4 /
> 4.5, not download a special all-in-one "Seaside" image..

As I described above, loading Seaside into a 4.4 image is possible today.
The ConfigurationOfSqueakSource is broken. I'm not sure why.  But to say
that Seaside doesn't load or is broken on Squeak  is inaccurate