[squeak-dev] Re: ScreencastMorph

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Thu Jan 16 17:54:33 UTC 2014

Karl Ramberg wrote
> Did  you look at the EventTheatreMorph in Etoys ?

I guess you mean EventRecordingSpace, which is accessible via
WorldMenu->open->"event theatre"?

That's cool! It feels close to what I want, but from what I can see it is
not a "real" world, but a partially simulated one. For example, some of the
toolbar buttons (like supplies) work with the theatre, some (like help and
fullscreen) operate on etoys proper, and some (e.g. language) don't work at
all. Also the hand is in the etoys world, so e.g. moving the theatre throws
off playing scripts. Lastly, resizing doesn't scale the theatre elements
(like the toolbar), but just occludes them.

A few requirements are:
- the window feel like a media player e.g. resizing scales its contents
proportionally while playback continues
- recording keeps the full power of the system e.g. one can bring up a world
menu inside the window

For sure the theatre is inspiring, but my question is really about how to
hack into PasteUpMorph/HandMorph to have a world running in another world
without locking up the system…

Thanks again for the pointer to some cool work :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean