[squeak-dev] NuScratch alpha release

jannik laval jannik.laval at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 07:08:53 UTC 2014

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply.

2014/1/17 tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>

> Hi Jannik,
>
> On 16-01-2014, at 1:28 AM, jannik.laval <jannik.laval at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It can be interesting to merge our efforts.
>
> There’s a big problem with merging much, which is that you have (very
> reasonably) decided to make a version of BYOB, with all the neat extensions
> that brings in. I need to make an *exact* Scratch port in order to support
> the many (actually it seems likely about a million, which is scary) users
> of current Scratch 1.4 on the Pi. It has to *be* Scratch, not something
> else.
>
> Later, if time and finances permit (start thinking of ways to lobby Eben
> Upton to keep supporting me!) I can work on extensions to Scratch like BYOB
> stuff, Enchanting, S4A etc.

I understand your point, and that was mine at the beginning of the project.
Phratch v1 is completely compatible with Scratch 1.4. You can try it there:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/Phratch/

Now, you are right, Phratch in its second version is less compatible. That
is just a current state because I need to clean up some things.

If I understand, your future work will be the same as I did or I am doing
(integrating BYOB, Enchanting, S4A...).

> > I am developing Phratch (http://car.mines-douai.fr/category/phratch/),
> and it begin to be really stable.
>
> I run your system fairly often for comparison purposes. Some very clever
> work-arounds to the changes from ancient-Morphic to modern Pharo-morphic,
> and often they help me spot what I need to do for my work.
>

> > I would like to see it on top of raspberry pi.
> > I hope we can do that together.
>
> I’m pretty sure there are some parts we will be able to share; the
> techniques for speeding up the tile dragging and script execution ought to
> be transferrable eventually. The Pi vm should run your image. SimpleSi’s
> python sensor-driver code should work, allowing you access to PiFace  &
> Gertduino etc.

I am not sure why we would share instead of working together on the same
platform. You have knowledge that I don't have and I did a work that you
are redoing.

Another question that I asked to me when beginning Phratch: why not just
using Scratch2.0 ? It is compatible with Scratch1.4.

Please, consider that I would be happy to merge our efforts :)

Jannik

--

~~Jannik Laval~~
École des Mines de Douai