[squeak-dev] Pavel Krivanek's unloading script for Pharo

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Tue Jan 21 03:36:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

I'm mentioning it here because (a) other folk than just myself are
> interested in this work and (b) I haven't had a chance to digest the
> script.

Wow. That is... impressive. There's a lot of stuff there that's not
applicable to Squeak, but also some good ideas we could adapt.

Terminating extraneous processes before doing the unload, for example. And
figuring out the unload order based on dependencies. (Although I've found
that unloading packages from a Trunk image in alphabetical order works
fine. The only exception is that I unload MonticelloForTraits last, so as
not to break trait-unloading.)

I don't really grok his UserManager hacks, though, or why he removes a
bunch of methods before getting into the package unloading.

Nice find.

Colin