[squeak-dev] mouseOverForKeyboardFocus default for 4.5

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jan 23 21:54:25 UTC 2014

On 23.01.2014, at 05:27, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:

> Leaving this disabled more closely matches Windows, but it requires
> clicking wherever you want to put keyboard focus.  But clicking for
> focus is invokes whatever selection where you clicked (even though you
> only want to gain keyboard focus on the list) which could cause even a
> modal pop-up if the text pane was dirty.  Clumsy!
>
> With the option to Enable this setting, merely pointing provides
> immediate keyboard control to the widget under the hand, without
> needing to click.  That is real "point-and-click", because you point,
> then you can "click" with any key not just on the mouse, but also the
> keyboard, to manipulate the UI.  Control is magnified under two
> dimensions of input.
>
> We all in this community set what we want for all preferences.  Many
> of the default settings specified in ReleaseBuilder are the opposite
> of my personal settings, but the best choice for the defaults.  This
> is about the _default_ for Squeak, not our personal preference.
>
> I think we've reached a time of such technical-diversity that don't we
> need to care as much about emulating Windows XP.  Squeak can do
> better, and I think it should.

-1

It's not about emulating Windows XP, but click-to-focus simply won, on any platform. There are just a couple of X window managers that have point-to-focus. If you still want that, change the preference. The default should be what is most commonly used.

(We did change this a couple years back. It was for the better. Now your text input does not stop anymore if you knock the mouse pointer out of the way.)

- Bert -