[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-topa.585.mcz

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Jan 27 13:17:35 UTC 2014

Hi,
  below..
Am 27.01.2014 00:45, schrieb Chris Muller:
> One issue relates whether the app will ever want to scale into a
> database.  When an object is retrieved from a database, that object is
> associated with a particular DB Session, by identity.  But persistent
> Symbol objects, by their nature, cannot be associated to only one
> Session, because there can only be one in the image.

Thanks for this post.  I had about 500.000  testresults per week and I
converted date (7), Teststation (~25) and failureCause (~100) into Symbols.
Everything worked fine and at a blazing speed because of the selection
via symbols and I had everything in Memory. I assumed that a lot of
different symbols (as compared to the 35000 ones in a 4.4 image) would
slow down the whole system.

If the next customer has higher production your post will save me a lot
of headache if I need a database then.

Cheers

Herbert