[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak 4.5 Release Candidate 1

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 00:09:18 UTC 2014

> As an aside for later consideration, we’ve really lost something somewhere
> with regard to debugging. Just where can one go from an open dialogue like
> that to trace back to the cause of the problem? You can’t hit the break
> key-combo because that just gets you to the event loop. Exploring the
> morph(s) of the dialogue seems to go nowhere that I can find.
>

> Cmd-dot worked for me. And as suspected, it's the effing MC proxy stuff, yet
> again.

I knew about this bug a long time ago, but forgot about it.

> I'm sorry Chris, I am not ever going to like it. And I will vote for
> shipping 4.5 with *full* ancestry information. And *not* turning on the
> proxyfication.

Given the bug and the timing, no problem, but...

> You can do that in your own image, but please do not force it
> onto the rest of us. The release must be self-contained, and not having to
> call back to the mothership whenever it feels like it.

.. there is not much logic to this argument.  Calling back to the
mothership happens when you do any of a number of operations in
Squeak.

Bert, it's fine to not like the implementation, but please tell me you
also don't like the ever-growing unsustainable ancestry model, right?

I'm not beholden to this solution with Proxy's.  Come up with a
different solution that solves the problem in 4.6 along with the
problem of always reading _all versions_ of all packages in Trunk for
virtually _every_ single operation we do.  Make it backward compatible
and, oh, make sure everyone _likes_ your solution too..

In the meantime, trunk has become virtually unusable by its being
bogged down with so many versions needing constantly downloaded, again
and again.