[squeak-dev] java interpreter/compiler hosted with Spur?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 20:54:31 UTC 2014

Hi Charlie,

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM, charlie robert
<charlie.robert at icloud.com>wrote:

> I was curious whether java may be used in Cog.  I recall a fair project
> with the serialization and core pojo representation, but my memory   Might
> java interoperate natively, so as to call a java function in smalltalk, as
> a smalltalk call with a closure/continuation, or perhaps in the other
> direction?

I'm sure one can write a Smalltalk/Java interconnect.  There are a number
of ways to do it.  What are your requirements?  What do you mean by
"native" operation?  e.g. VisualAgeForJava?

>  COudl a scala type inferencer be built in Spur's runtime? runtime?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Could you elaborate?  Spur is an object
representation and set of garbage collection/memory management facilities.
 As such wouldn't it live below any type inferencer?

> Eliot, I am quite intrigued on your blog post on Spur's object stack
> representation.  Does this format touch on the heap structure of an object?

What exactly do you mean by "Spur's object stack representation"?  Do you
mean Spur's object representation, or do you mean the ObjStack datatype?
 The latter is merely a segmented stack, like building OrderedCollection
out of a linked list of pages, each page containing up to N elements.

>  Either way, using Cap'n Proto in the heap and Spur for the stack/queue
> structures would be really nice if someone had one.  Does a lord or lady
> own such a magic item +4?  on a raspberry?

https://plus.google.com/+KentonVarda/posts/GRJ4h4w2UN9?  Or am I being
cynical?

--
best,