[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Monticello-cmm.585.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 22:38:53 UTC 2014

You weren't clear about that.  Your first sentence said you "don't
want to proxify", then you said, "proxying MC ancestry is a Bad Idea"
without saying why, and finally you said, "these proxies are brittle,"
possibly suggesting that another kind of proxy besides THESE proxies
would fit better..?  I still don't know which of these three
interpretations you mean, I guess either the 2nd or 3rd since you said
not the 1st..

You've reminded me of a client years ago using VW who made me strip
the use of a Semaphore out of their code.  A simple patch and the code
they had worked beautifully (and was tested for months), but because
they had prior bad-experiences using them incorrectly, they were
unable to disassociate their fear of a possible app lock-up from
Semaphores themselves.  They blamed the Semaphore and chose to switch
to synchronous (blocking) calls for everything at the last minute
instead staying with what had already been tested.

If / when you get into the details of the problem (which, I hope you
do), and begin to wrestle with the issues of compatibility,
performance, transparency, and enabling a variable-sized lookback
history, while still preserving ALL history in case we need it -- At
that point you might strike an appreciation for how well the Proxy
solution aligns itself to the problem and associated issues.  Sure, if
its a ticking time-bomb of nitro-glycerin, we can't use it, but I
never understood why Proxy's are good for so many other similar cases
but not this one.  As with my former client, I sense there's may be an
emotional component at play.  That's totally my fail because if I had
squashed these bugs earlier we probably wouldn't be having this
conversation..