[squeak-dev] Morphic Designer

Blake McBride blake at mcbride.name
Wed Jul 9 10:11:50 UTC 2014

Greetings,

First, is it the general understanding that Morphic Designer is the best
way to go when trying to write business GUI apps (i.e. text controls, drop
downs, list boxes, buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, buttons, etc.)?

Second, trying to load Morphic Designer from Squeak 4.5 with:

(Installer mc http: 'http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/
')
   project: 'MetacelloRepository';
   install: 'ConfigurationOfDesigner'.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfDesigner) load.

does not work.  It gives some sort of back-trace that won't allow me to
copy and paste here (I am a Squeak newbie) but the first line is:

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #signal

At this point, I am not interested in understanding the backtrace and
fixing the problem.  I just thought that this package should have loaded
cleanly.  This begs the questions: is Morphic Designer supported and used?

I've played with Morphic Designer with an older version of Squeak in the
past.  I remember having some sort of difficulty then too but was able to
get past it.  Does Morphic Designer still work?  How can I use it?

Thanks.

Blake