[squeak-dev] Please make http://ftp.squeak.org/current_stable/ redirect to http://ftp.squeak.org/4.5/ (is 4.4 currently))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 12 18:27:25 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:49:13PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 05:56:42PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> > [eom]
>
> Done.

Tobias pointed out that current_stable and current_development links on the
ftp server had not been updated, so I fixed that. But in the course of checking
that out I looked at the various download links on squeak.org, and it does not
really make a lot of sense to me.

Under "Downloads", the "Latest Squeak" link provides only the all-in-one, with
no indication to the new user that it is possible to download the image and VM
in the traditional manner.

Personally, I almost never use the all-in-one, but more importantly I would
expect that one of the first things that a new user of Squeak needs to grok
is the concept of running an image on a VM, so I think that a newcomer should
be aware of this right from the start. As an experienced Squeaker, I know
enough to always go to the ftp.squeak.org site if I want to download an image,
but I don't think a new user should be expected to figure that out.

The "Bleeding Edge" link seems strange also, because it takes the user to
the source.squeak.org site when I might have expected a link to 4.6alpha
for downloads.

Wouldn't it be good to have the "Downloads" tab provide links to the Squeak
all-in-one for the convenient quick start download, to the current_stable
directory for images, to the current_development directory for bleeding edge,
and to squeakvm.org for VMs? That would be accompanied by a brief explanation
of what these things are (older squeak.org sites had this, so we can probably
find the text). New users would be guided to download the all-in-one to
get started quickly, but they would at least be starting out with an idea
of what is in that all-in-one. And people who want to download a stable
image would find a link to it from the downloads page.

Dave