[squeak-dev] excessive MC downloads bug

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 21:08:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>    more whitewash... I have a theory about the bug whereby one...
>
> 1. commits a package to a remote repository
> 2. opens the repository, browses the package and finds that MC downloads
> the package again even though its just been written to package-cache.
>

> Is it that when the package is uploaded to the remote repository it is
> generated again and hence has a different UUID from the one in
> package-cache?  Hence when looking for a version the system rejects the one
> in package-cache because it has a different UUID?

No.  The UUID's are the only glue it has to BIND MC's distributed model
together.  That's the only way we know one version is the same as another
in a different repository.

> If this is so the fix is simple; when copying a package from one
> repository to another, the *existing file* should be copied, not
> regenerated.  That's got to be better right?  Less work all round.

It's already a copy, but I know the problem you're talking about; its very
annoying and creates unnecessary hits on our servers.  My theory is it's
hitting "MCRepositoryGroup default" under certain conditions to look for
the repository version.  As you know, "RepositoryGroup default" is the list
you see in the MC browser when no package is selected.  The Group object
acts like a repository itself by enumerating through all of its
repositories, looking for the first one that can satisfy a request..