[squeak-dev] Meet Swiff

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 16:02:33 UTC 2014

On 4 June 2014 16:12, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pretty neat. I guess with Swift there is already a set date when Objective-C
> will deprecated. They showed the language in terms of tooling. They didn't
> show code examples of namespaces, generics, or closures, but in terms of an
> IDE. It's as though there is no difference. A friend of mine works for Apple
> and he says his team is learning and using Clojure, which he loves. But he
> says there is very little tooling for it. It's interesting to see what
> people consider a language to actually be.

It depends on what you mean by "tooling", I suppose. Lightable is an
entire IDE for Clojure, clojure-mode and nREPL have been around for
ages for emacs users. There are build tools (lein), package managers
(lein), version control (whatever you like, but I'm guessing most
Clojure folk use git), ... You debug live services by connecting a
REPL to the misbehaving service, exactly analogous to VNC'ing into
source.squeak.org, except text based.

frank