[squeak-dev] Proposing class Category README or HOWTO for easy access to documentation within the system

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Jun 12 18:29:42 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Stefan Ducasse replied to me regarding my synapsis of the CMakeVMaker code.

 Igor created all the logic of the CMakeGenerator but I guess that he did not add good class comments so I thought that it would be great if you can
add the comment to a class so that it is not lost. Information external to classes is often lost.

And I agree with him.

In Linux/Open Source world, are the conventions of README and HOWTO. I propose that Squeak adopt two class categories for developers to add easy access to documentation on subsystems in the README category and quick howto_foo_a_bar classes in the HOWTO category.

I know we have the web, and there is a Help system, but I find the Help system a bit clunky to use and breaking from Squeak environment to Web for information breaks the flow.

A recent example of where this proposal would come in handy is the recent discussion about reviving Tweak for Squeak 4.5/4.6. The time investment to get up to speed is vastly increased by having to hunt for information.

just my .02

cheers.

tty