Re: [squeak-dev] Proposing class Category README or HOWTO for easy    access to documentation within the system

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Jun 12 22:24:53 UTC 2014

Hi Tim.

We already have a fairly decent Help system available; see the help item in the top docking bar menus. What we lack is content for that help system, and a clear organisation of it; consider the several workspaces, the Terse Guide, the Help Browser that also includes the terse guide. I’d suspect that having a nice link to available help info from the Browser might encourage more use of it.

I have used the Help System and I have practiced writing books in it. I must say I am not a fan of it for the reasons you give and some others I have forgotten. (ok, I opened the Help Browser and some reasons have come back to me:
No search, no type-ahead to browse for topics, difficult to contribute to, etc).

What I have in mind is something like 'http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/text/' for the HOWTO's but in Smalltalk category that "anybody" can write to to contribute and that is simple text.

Maybe the Help Browser is the way to go, but in my opinion, the learning curve and work required to contribute to it dissuade the community from using it.

cheers.

tty