[squeak-dev] MultiByteFileStream performance issues

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Jun 14 04:12:59 UTC 2014

On 13-06-2014, at 5:16 PM, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> What encoding do those files have?

They all seem to be UTF-8 and they all get dealt with correctly so far as I can tell, though very, very slowly. We’re talking maybe 75x as long to deal with each one. If that is a common ratio we’re wasting a lot of time with files.

Swapping this particular bit of code to use a StandardFileStream and then ‘manually’ converting the relevant part to utf8  results in processing all 50 files taking 160mS on the Pi instead of 27000mS.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- ICH LIEBE RICH - I'm really crazy about having dough