[squeak-dev] Cog binary + cogdeb.zip = Cog.deb

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jun 18 08:57:59 UTC 2014

On 18.06.2014, at 02:51, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not so concerned in this case because it looks like it is just a repackaging of a prebuilt VM.  What would be nice is if this approach is documented and replicated for other distros.  Then we have something we can allow distro maintainers to take wen they want to build an install artifact for a particular distro (if that doesn't sound hopelessly circular).

Linux distros never package binaries compiled by someone else (*). What they need is a source tar ball that builds cleanly, and a list of dependencies.

- Bert -

(*) which is a major reason why we're having a hard time to get Squeak images into distros (as opposed to Squeak VMs). The image looks like a big binary blob to the average distro maintainer, and they want the real source instead.