[squeak-dev] Urgent, Spur users please read, was: The Inbox: Kernel-kfr.858.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 19:21:20 UTC 2014

>> Why not tell me what you learned so I can learn too?  I really want to
>> know why the separate spur repository was so bad it has you wanting to
>> hack version-names so they can act as a string-filter "partition" in
>> one big slow repository instead of simply using two repositories (two
>> ecosystems).  I'm not seeing any sanity in that..
>
> OK.
>
> First, making the update scheme handle two repositories is non-trivial.  The
> code needs rewriting, and that is too complex for me.

With simply a temporary ecosystem for spur, I don't see why we
couldn't simply throw it out.  A cron or whatever uses your conversion
utility to regularly convert/copy new submissions from trunk to spur.
A clean separation-along-the-physical-seams rather than making
domain-soup like we're doing.

> Second, the non-branch scheme is at best confusing or at worst clashes in
> places like the package cache.

Yes, I acknowledge that loading stuff from the package-cache would
require a few extra clicks to identify what you wanted to load..  I
guess dedicated local file directory repositories (<-- plurality
important) would be the "normal" way to work offline?

> Third, the branch scheme does all we need already, because it was my
> misunderstanding that a branch name would prevent me removing the branch
> name once we're ready to switch to spur.  That's not the case.  The ancestry
> apparently doesn't include the branch name.

Doesn't it?  See below the ancestry of VMMaker, the transition from
the mainline to the "oscog" branch (54-55) followed by the next
descendant (55-56).  Including the branched-name in the ancestry
actually makes sense to me; since that's the only way a FileBased
repository would be able to efficiently find the ancestral record..

"54-->55 transition into oscog branch."
Name: VMMaker.oscog-eem.55