[squeak-dev] Intent to upgrade box4 VM from VMr.2776 to VM.r2987

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 01:11:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Didn't Levente ask us to use stable VM's for production services?

Given that 3018 has nothing radically new but contains bug fixes IMO it is
stable.  Even the SPur VM is more stable than the one that preceeds it.
 What extra testing has 2776 had to make it more or less stable than 2987
or 3021?  2987 and subsequent all run the standard test suite with
equivalent results.  I don't make arbitrary changes to the Cog VMs (Spur is
obviously evolving much faster, but again is getting more, not less
stable).  You need to specify a criterion by which a VM is judged stable,
not merely go by age, which is, at least on average, inversely correlated
with stability, older VMs containing more bugs, if you want to argue
against using newer VMs.  I don't put newer VMs out for amusement.  I put
them out because they're better (faster, fix bugs, etc).

--
best,
Eliot