[squeak-dev] Process improvement for 4.6, a new .sources file!

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:29:38 UTC 2014

> I don’t know, but anticipate that a second ‘appendChanges’ would just add any subsequently changed methods’ source, which makes for a gradually growing .sources file that might be useful or might be ludicrously large, depending upon how much code gets changed over time.

Just to clarify, there is no plan to do a second appendChanges.  A new
sources is rebuilt anew every release, so the sources won't grow
"gradually".  Just once, incrementally.  We're talking about probably
a couple of MB, not "ludicrous".  And, if we are successful in
reducing the size of the system, that will effect to reduce the size
of .sources anyway.

For just a couple of MB (I think), we can connect Squeak's
release-to-release.  The external tools don't do that.  Is anyone
besides me actually using them?