[squeak-dev] What happened to the old #mouseHold: events?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Mar 23 23:02:49 UTC 2014

Back in the Old Days of squeak… um, 3-ish?, we used to have an event named #mouseHold: that was triggered if the mouse button was held do for longer than 6650mS without being released. The old Scratch code has been using that to provide one way of popping up a menu.

T’ain’t there no more. There *is* #doubleClickTimeout: but that relies upon the button being released or there not being a drag selector in use. I’m more than a bit conflicted about even trying to replicate the functionality since you have to not move the mouse during the time interval, and mixing the gestures for select and menu makes me squirm a bit. On the other hand, it’s what’s expected in this case and I don’t want to disappoint users.

Generally I’m also little surprised to see how many cases in MouseClickState>handleEvent:from: actually send the double click timeout event - it’s hard to see what it is expected to be used for with no exemplars or comments to hand.

Does anyone recall any reasoning behind the changes?

tim
Strange OpCodes: RPSW: Randomize Program Status Word