[squeak-dev] Re: The new site looks great! [EOM]

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 25 04:43:13 UTC 2014

I think the colors are all messed up and the spacing needs to be fixed. The
forward/backward buttons besides the central screenshot have a strange
offset upwards. The screenshots are kind of confusing and do not actually
promote the features they aim to visualize.

How about applying some visual concepts that are well known from other
popular sites? Hmmm... what about Twitter's Bootstrap? Or, to get started,
we could use a harmonizing color scheme. -> http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Maybe we can promote our features in tiles like www.fogcreek.com does. Big,
sliding screenshots could be used for cool projects that actually use that
features. Maybe we can just get rid of that slideshow because the site
visitor has almost no control about it. And it does present those features
at a glance. I found this interesting to read:
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/auto-forwarding/

"Squeak is a modern, open source, full-featured implementation of the
powerful Smalltalk programming language and environment. Squeak is
highly-portable, running on almost any platform you could name and you can
really truly write once run anywhere. Squeak is the vehicle for a wide range
of projects from multimedia applications and educational platforms to
commercial web application development. Read on and join in!" --- What are
the definitions of "modern" and "powerful"? Do we need those adjectives?
Isn't it paradox to say "highly-portable" and "almost any platform" in one
sentence? How does "really truly" provide any argument to a site visitor?
What actually *is* the target group of this advertisement? ;)

Most importantly: The download link on the home page should be *above the
fold*

Just my two cents. :-)

Best,
Marcel