[squeak-dev] VM should use platform libraries where possible (was: 16 bit GIFs (was: A nitpick))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun May 11 01:48:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 03:00:41PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> There?s a related issue that could do with a fix sometime - the jpeg library we used to make the jepegreadwriteplugin is out of date and Debian (at least) considers that a security risk and thus they mangle the sources to not use those file but link to the ?standard? library. Which unfortunately doesn?t actually work within our plugin!
>
> Leaving aside the sheer rudeness of throwing unapproved ?patches? into somebody?s code (without ever letting Ian know, for example) and resulting in a broken function, I imagine that if looked into we would be able to tweak our plugin code to actually work with the new jpeg library code. This would be a Good Thing. If anyone knows enough about jpeg library, Debian, blah blah blah to look into this then it might make a nice project that would benefit the Raspberry Pi Scratch using world - several tens of thousands of kids in the UK alone.

This issue is tracked in Mantis 7539: "Plugins should use platform libraries
where possible. Gentoo removed Squeak for this reason."

   http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7539

It was originally reported based on Gentoo rejecting Squeak, and it affects Debian
and other Linux distributions that (quite reasonably) expect that supported
applications should link to current versions of system libraries.

If anyone is interested in working to improve this, please do. It would be a great
way for someone to contribute a really useful update to the VM.

Dave