[squeak-dev] ...and some cool Smalltalk history! (Re: [Pharo-users] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference)

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:05:39 UTC 2014

The influence of Smalltalk on Ruby is well known, and is in fact how I found you people:)

Particularly striking is Ruby's block/closure syntax. Looks almost the same, which sticks out like a sore thumb in a dot and curly language. In the most recent versions I think they've even added keyword messages.

Awesome to know where #collect: came from. I wondered about that; given that the guy running the LRG was fond of LISP, I would have expected it to be called #map:.

I think the Ruby collections have #map() as a synonym for #collect(), reflecting the language's dual heritage. I've always used collect though because it makes me think of baseball cards!