[squeak-dev] ...and some cool Smalltalk history! (Re: [Pharo-users] a Pharo talk from a ruby conference)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon May 12 20:27:45 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrien.r at gmail.com>wrote:

> The influence of Smalltalk on Ruby is well known, and is in fact how I
> found you people:)
>
> Particularly striking is Ruby's block/closure syntax. Looks almost the
> same, which sticks out like a sore thumb in a dot and curly language. In
> the most recent versions I think they've even added keyword messages.
>
> Awesome to know where #collect: came from. I wondered about that; given
> that the guy running the LRG was fond of LISP, I would have expected it to
> be called #map:.

Dan posted last week that the collect:, detect:, inject:, reject:, select:
suite was inspired by Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacre":

"They got a building down New York City, it's called Whitehall Street,
where you walk in, you get injected, inspected, detected, infected,
neglected and selected. I went down to get my physical examination one
day, and I walked in, I sat down, got good and drunk the night before, so
I looked and felt my best when I went in that morning. `Cause I wanted to
look like the all-American kid from New York City, man I wanted, I wanted
to feel like the all-, I wanted to be the all American kid from New York,
and I walked in, sat down, I was hung down, brung down, hung up, and all
kinds o' mean nasty ugly things. And I waked in and sat down and they gave
me a piece of paper, said, "Kid, see the psychiatrist, room 604."

--
best,
Eliot