[squeak-dev] file name case sensitivity

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed May 14 21:23:18 UTC 2014

Case sensitivity is one of those things that needs to be checked at usage time. You can’t always rely upon a file name being proper for the runtime scenario just because it is ok when you build the system. For example - the big obvious one is the directory separator and we’ve all run into places where some twerp has built a filename string on a Windows box and it is now being passed into a prim on an OS X machine. Boom.

A long time ago -  sufficiently long that I can’t even really work out what keywords to search my email database for - we had a long discussion on the problems of file systems and how inherently unreliable naming and status checking and permissions checking  are. I do recall some really scary problems that people had actually come across over the years.

The real answer is that we should have got away from stupid files keyed by dumb strings decades ago but… well that’s life.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Fac ut vivas. = Get a life.