[squeak-dev] WebClient

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu May 15 17:21:59 UTC 2014

Hey,

On 15.05.2014, at 17:41, Chris Cunnington <brasspen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 15, 2014, at 9:07 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 15 May 2014 13:17, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>>> Hey all
>>>
>>> Re-reading an old blog post
>>>       https://squeakingalong.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/webclient-and-webserver-for-squeak/
>>> Can we make the last paragraph happen?
>>
>> (which is, for lazy folk,
>>
>>> As a result, we now have what I think is a pretty decent HTTP server and client implementation for Squeak 4.1 and hopefully we can nuke HTTPSocket sometime soon. WebClient is superior in _every_ respect.
>> )
>>
>> frank
>>
>>> Best
>>>       -Tobias
>

> I just read your blog post twice. I'm sure you're right about it being better, but if you could explain things in more detail that would be good.

Attention, the post is not mine. It is an old one by Andreas.

> 1. A quick search in an image of mine says HTTPSocket is used 37 times: SMSqueakMap, SSVersion, FileStream, SocksSocket, MCHttpRepository, InstallerUrl. What happens to them? Do they all break?

Well, Andreas introduced that Compat layer
as you found out (Q2).
So they theoretically shouldn't.

(BTW, If SSVersion is from SqueakSource, how would it use HTTPSocket?)

> 2. Would this change only work for applications that already use the *WebClient-HTTP-override protocol in HTTPSocket?

There shouldn't be any other uses…

> 3. Would this require the Adaptor pattern to keep older code working?

An inverse for WebClient-HTTP so to speak…

> 4. If I use Kom do I need to migrate somehow?

I don't know.

> If you could provide more information about how this change would affect things that rely on it, then I'm all for it.

• We should be just concerned to migrate the core infrastructure
  (Monticello, Updates, SqueakMap if you want, Installer if necessary)
• Move HTTPSocket into its own package
• Deprecate HTTPSocket in 4.6 or 4.7
• Remove it in 4.7 or 4.8

I just jumped for it as I hat to answer questions regarding problems in HTTPSocket
and I just noticed that it is really due to be replaced, IMHO.

Best
	-Tobias