[squeak-dev] Re: Ongoing PunchCard releases

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Fri May 16 15:21:25 UTC 2014

>> I think the easiest and most natural approach for projects at rest is
>> to simply let them remain at rest.  We don't _need_ to tag PunchedCard
>> as "Squeak4.5" until the moment someone desires enough that
>> information to be documented in the catalog.  At which time we want it
>> to be very easy -- no need for new SM Release if no changes, just the
>> category assignment.
>
> As the maintainer of (Bob Arning's excellent) PunchedCards, here is what
> I want to be able to do when a new Squeak release is declared, such as
> Squeak 4.5:
>
> 1) I will test the package and make sure that it works on the new Squeak
> release.
>
> 2) After confirming that it works, I want to update some attribute of the
> current release (which is "2.0" for PunchedCards) to declare that it
> works on Squeak 4.5, and that it should appear on the list of safely
> available packages in a Squeak 4.5 image.

Yep.  Okay, great, so you're golden then.  It looks like you've
already done exactly that for the last few Squeak releases..

> What I specifically do not want to do is declare a new release of
> PunchedCards for Squeak 4.5. The reason that I do not want to do this
> is that there has been no change to PunchedCards, and if I were to
> tell people that a "new release" was available, this would imply that
> something has changed in PunchedCards to support Squeak 4.5 when in
> fact nothing of the sort has happened.

Yes, of course.  You don't want to have to declare a new release, you
shouldn't have to, and you don't have to.  That's the way it already
is!  The wiki page "How to designate existing SqueakMap packages for a
new version of Squeak" (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6180) says this
in step 6.

>> Until then, nothing stops anyone from downloading the current
>> PunchedCard "2.0" version in Squeak 4.5 even though its not tagged for
>> it.  If it is found not to work in 4.5 (or some future release), we at
>> least have the tag documenting the last version of Squeak it was known
>> to work in.  They could run it there and if they care enough they'll
>> update it for 4.5 and add a new catalog entry.
>
> This is exactly what I do not want. The user should not have to guess
> about this. I actually *did* test the current release of PunchedCards on
> the new release of Squeak, and I have confirmed that it works. I want to
> communicate that fact to potential users of PunchedCards. I do not want
> the user to have to guess about it after I already went to the trouble
> of testing to confirm that it works.

Yes, of course!  :)  I'm not sure what you meant by that first
sentence of the above paragraph, but the rest of it is exactly how it
works today.  You cared enough about PunchedCards to test and tag it
for the new Squeak release (with no need to create a new SM Release).

 - Chris