[squeak-dev] 1401 Emulator? (was: Ongoing PunchCard releases)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun May 18 12:53:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:49:45AM -0700, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Original context mercilessly scrubbed for brevity.
>
> I've *always* wanted to play with punched cards. Never ran across a machine that read them, though. Then I saw this thread...
>
> Okay so in the last week I had an itch to emulate something. I was thinking 6502, and spent a bit of time reading up on the architecture, but I haven't written any code yet, which leads me to...
>
> Did anyone ever do the 1401 emulator?

I don't think that it has been done in Squeak, but if you google around for
1401 emulators you will find lots of interest in the topic. Here is some good
inspiration:

  http://www.computerhistory.org/atchm/restoring-the-ibm-1401/

And speaking of inspiration, the idea of visualizing a running computer is
nicely illustrated in the UI for Bert's SqueakJS:

  http://bertfreudenberg.github.io/SqueakJS/

Dave